Thread: Pan's New Invention

Pan's New Invention

Hey Pan60... what can you tell us about your new microphone filter? When available? Costs? Congrats on a really cool idea that a lot of folks seem excited about!

Quote Originally Posted by lunchboxhero View Post
    Hey Pan60... what can you tell us about your new microphone filter? When available? Costs? Congrats on a really cool idea that a lot of folks seem excited about!
    cool!
    thank for the opportunity to chat about this!!!!!!
    i am up sneaking a late night snack so i will be back tomorrow.

sorry for the delay.

first it really is not a pop filter, although in testing it has proven to outperform even the most expensive pop filters available ( this from some grammy winning engineers and not just me ), this ( the FILTER ??? ), is so so so much more.
    it is a valuable and indispensable tool for any studio.

we have just been calling it the filter, we still need to come up with a name.

the FILTER is nothing like a standard pop screen, i hate even calling it a pop filter, and or pop screen, although it shines in that capacity, it's original design was to offer a hugh degree of protection for microphone used in high, very hi Sound Pressure Levels, particularly ribbons and other dynamics.

again, this is a tool.

the filter is made from a tool grade machined aluminum, it is chambered and ported, then skinned with two differentially sized corrosive resistant stainless steel screen.
    i am not going to get to involved just how it works, their is to much to try and go into, you have porting, tuning, all in relationship to chamber dimensions, ring modulation, barometric press differentials, and on and on.
    so i will just say, this will let you use microphones in ways you may never have been able to before, in way you have never even thought of.
    hopefully we can get more information up on the Pete's Place website later as time allows, time being a factor, and the release will not be until after the NAMM show.

we have had a large number of engineers, and recording musicians blowing horns into ribbon mics, harmonica players rite on top ribbons, to hi-end condenser being slammed to the grill of a screaming amp, all capturing the detail want with the use of the FILTER and loosing the nasty mic braking up that had before plagued a give microphone.

as i said on another forum
    THIS AINT DADYS POP FILTER BOYS AND GILRS!

as i know it will come up let me say now.

nothing is 100% transparent, anytime you place something between a mic and it's source, you will effect the sound in some form or fashion.
    the question becomes, just how much, or in this case, just how little will that effect be.
    as mentioned earlier, this as been Beta tested by grammy wining engineers, engineers that feel it is the best filter they have ever used.
    as well after being used on vocals, engineers calling or emails and stating this was just outperforming anything they have ever used, owned or tried, before.
    these comments in regards to the filter, and just how very much transparent, it can be.
    the FILTER can as well effect the tone, it all just depends on how it is placed.
    the mic will view the filter as the sound source, such as the case with proximity effect, this will come into play as the mic being closer in relationship to the filter, and less, with some distance.

third party lab tests show a very slight cut at about 6k, in some settings this allows the filter to become a very effective De-esser as well.

you can look for some quotes as the filter gets a name and gets closer to a release.

P.S.
    i want to again add.
    the FILTER has been used more for vocals then probably anything, our Betas testers ( pros making a living tracking ), engineers we trust, no one has said anything about it not being transparent. but to the opposite they have obsoletely raved about it on vocals!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks extremely polished for a prototype! Amazingly nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by pauloticks View Post
    That looks extremely polished for a prototype! Amazingly nice work!
    thank you!
    here is what the prototypes ( probably about the fourth generation here ), and the first run looked like.
    they have already been used on some major label stuff: )~
    we have had these it studio for a long time before announcing them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hi pan, thanks for the invite over here.

cheers.

ben sneesby

Quote Originally Posted by mics View Post
    hi pan, thanks for the invite over here.

cheers.

ben sneesby
    hi Ben
    thanks for signing up!
    we could use as well as welcome your experience over here!

just shot you a email!

Wow, your pop filters look amazing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bendymusic View Post
    Wow, your pop filters look amazing!!!
    thank you!
    i will get some quotes from users here before to long, been swamped lately!

but for anyone interested just get with Pete's Place.
    http://www.petesplaceaudio.com/

Pete's Place Audio
    Address: P.O. Box 4255
    Canoga Park, CA 91304
    Phone: 818-704-0989
    Email: sales@petesplaceaudio.com

Pan, my dad never had a pop filter. He was in the insurance business.

Quote Originally Posted by danetate View Post
    Pan, my dad never had a pop filter. He was in the insurance business.
    LOL
    neither did mine.